Friday, December 08, 2006

The one you were waiting for...

So there we were, sat in a buttercup-filled meadow overlooking the most perfect view I think I've ever seen - Mt. Cook & Mt. Tasman with the Fox Glacier in the background, a field full of uninterested bulls in the middle-ground and a sausage sarnie in the foreground. It was quite possibly the most spectacular snag/bap combo ever experienced and Andy was about to make the moment even more memorable. After spending a couple of hours early that morning gawping at the splendid view over Lake Matheson, with the magnificent mountains reflected in the water, we escaped the crowds of people hilariously running around the lake trying the capture the scene before the clouds obscured their photo opportunity of the peaks. Heading towards the Mt. Cook lookout, we stumbled upon a totally amazing spot completely devoid of human lifeforms. It was totally still and peaceful with only a stoat and several grazing beasts for company. Before I could pick up my knitting needles and ball of wool (the new OCD project of the week), Andy seemed to be asking me to marry him! At first I thought he was taking the p***, then I was very happy and then I started crying and then the panic hit me. All these emotions came and went very quickly and within about 6 seconds I seemed to be agreeing to his ludicrous plan.

Not quite prepared for the moment, Andy then legged it back to the van for the jade ring which he tells me is a temporary feature until he has saved up his pennies for a pink diamond like Jordon's (I think that's what he meant anyway). So this is the moment you've all been anticipating for the past 10 months. Was it worth the wait?!? Not only had I given up all hope, but the setting was out of this world. I think Gandalf was lurking somewhere casting good-weather spells. I didn't want to leave, but I was really quite keen to get on with the knitting project - a new hat for my future husband. A rainy drive to Lake Wanaka and then the clouds lifted once more. A bottle of champagne later and we were 'phoning my Dad to ask his permission. Some confusion ensued and a half-asleep Dad responded with some Northern-ness which Andy didn't quite get, but I think he agreed!

The original plan had been to ask me in an ice-cave the day before during an expedition on the Fox Glacier. All had not gone according to plan though as the ice-cave was very small (blog to follow soon) and as it was a sunny day, the ice was melting quite quickly. Andy was trying to shove me into the cave but it was dripping at quite a rate and I was getting soaked. If I'm honest, I was getting in quite a mood by the whole process and this could possibly have put the proposal on hold for a bit. The romance was further removed from the equation by the queue of people outside the cave waiting to come in.

So, on the 7th December, I had a tip-top excuse to flex the Egg card. We found a bar in Wanaka (not a typo) overlooking the mountains and the lake. Champagne and fine wine was the order of the moment. Then it was mussles, steak, tiger prawns and smoked salmon to ease the alarm of the situation. It's all good. Andy has said I can spend 10 English pounds on flowers for the big day and he's going to get his suit from TK Maxx... I am one lucky lady!! No seriously, we are very happy and have agreed on virtually everything since the event... So, here's to the future Mr & Mrs Us! Chin chin!!!!!


Currently Drinking :
Quarz Reef Champagne from Otago region, NZ.






Film of the Week :
A Very Long Engagement.

10 Comments:

At 11:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations big bro and Sammy! Am so happy he is gonna make it legit Sam, he is a lucky lad and you are a lucky (if somewhat brave) lady!!

If you wanna have a double wedding, remember to turn up next August in a park in Sheff! Or maybe crash Andy and Emma's??

We are all dead chuffed for you both, its wonderful. Happy, happy, happy times ahead...keep em' coming....lots of love, Sach, Joe and Ruby xxx

 
At 11:57 AM , Blogger windcheater said...

Wanaka? Wanaka! HAHAHAHA!

:smirk:

Oh, congratulations


Wanaka!! :)

p.s. has Andy photoshopped that proposal picture to make his arms look muscley?

p.p.s. just joshing, really happy for the two of you

Wanaka!

 
At 2:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much cheering from the Smith houshold at your great news. I take it the ring is an ancient Japenese artifact much more precious than anything Jordan wears.

If you guys and Bison & Suz all get married on the same day will you all get on a bungee together?

We're very happy for you both We'll pass on the news to any non bloggers

Big Love

James, Denise, Frank & Lily

 
At 2:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Japenese????

 
At 5:06 PM , Blogger Tim said...

Congratulations.

What a lovely spot to pop the question.

 
At 9:36 PM , Blogger Andy said...

Bison: Cheers mate :) Didn't even know you were engaged yourself :)
Am really jealous that you've got a Wii, I'm back on the 16th Jan, will be coming to yours on the 17th :)

Sache: We'd love a double wedding, but wouldn't want to embarress you both with our good looks!

Alex: As soon as we visited Wanaka I knew I'd found your spiritual home ;)

James: Cheers again. Looking forward to seeing you guys and Sam wants to show you all her ring ;)

Tim: Thanks mate, we did it all in the name of the blog ;)

 
At 9:41 PM , Blogger Andy said...

Thanks for all you kind words! Currently forgoing the extreme sports in favour of knitting. Bison - don't tell him you can be engaged for 6 years!!! At this rate I shall be 92 when we walz down the aisle. X
Rach - we are planning to gatecrash at one of the weddings next year, but we're not saying which. Big kiss to Joe & the Rubinda X
Alex - i think Wanaka is quite appropriate given my husband-to-be (only joking dear). Love to Eremi X
James - will you take Andy shopping for his suit? Your wedding creation was quite fantastic. Love to Denise & kiddi-winks X
Tim - I recommend you follow suit! You'll never row again, I promise!

 
At 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flan says:

Brilliant!.....congratulations both....can't wait for the big day which I hope won't be too far away....

happy days!

xx

 
At 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both! Fantastic news! Will look forward to celebrating with you when you return,
lots of love
Sarah and Rob xx

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger Jamie Crawford - Short Stories said...

I'm here just outside Dublin for an in-law style christmas, and have shown Janet, Kate and Drew your pics and told them your news - They all wish you much love and are all blown away by Andys hyper-nerd multimedia approach to what is an incredibly traditional moment... Can't wait for the birth of your first child, streamed onto the NUFC website : )
Ka-Pla!!!
XXXXXXXXXx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home