Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Birthday Bird.

Hi everyone! And a massive THANK-YOU to all who sent me a Birthday greeting and an even bigger thanks to those who sent money too! How kind of you all the remember me. I bet you're all secretly quite pleased that I'm not there. For anyone who hasn't spent a birthday with me, it generally follows the same pattern. Firstly, I never work on my birthday, and usually treat myself to a massage and/or facial. Then, I round up all my friends, having booked an expensive restaurant and demand to be taken for cocktails, safe in the knowledge that I've taken the following three days off work. I will have spent the preceeding week mentioning various activities, to glean an understanding of what everyone will be up for. This way, I manage to stretch the celebrations out over a whole week, seeing people in small, manageable groups which ultimately (I tell myself) benefits everyone involved. So, you can all rest easy, as there is only Andy to cope with me. The only stipulation is that he has to say "Happy Birthday Pet" every three to four hours.


He has done exceedingly well so far. We are presently residing in 4* luxury in a wonderful place called La Residence. It is LOVELY and it is sparklingly clean with all the usual brilliant things. There is a massive, very comfortable bed and a mini bar containing gin & Pringles (not allowed to use this though). There is an outdoor swimming pool, which I'm going to brave in a minute (even though it's raining). There are pristine white towels and dressing gowns and a spa (unfortunately closed) and endless hotwater and you can even drink the tap water! No more picking out the ice-cubes and avoiding salad for Birthday Girl! We have our own cheap local beer on ice and are about to crack one or two open. I might even sneak a bit of room service when Andy's not looking...

So here's to being 30. (Not 40, thanks Bison) And heres to becoming more sagely with each passing year. There is nothing to fear about reaching this landmark and I'm just glad I could do something to make my older friends feel better.

3 Comments:

At 2:50 PM , Blogger Spencer said...

Chuc Mung Sinh Nhat!
which has to be the nicest sounding way to say happy birthday in any language - and quite possibly how you'll probably be feeling the next morning.
Don't overdo the snake-blood wine and the weasel-vomit coffee. Cheers,
Spencer xxx

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger Andy said...

Well, you beauties! What a great day. I'm doing a mass comment in response to all your lovely birthday wishes...

Well, we've done nothing at all today...except lounge around in our dressing gowns, and watch the animated version of Sinbad the Sailor. Then we had a beer, then we had a G 'n' T, then a vodka martini, then a few glasses of red wine. Oh how I've missed the old vino...still, my sinus problems has improved no end as a result.

At one point, I phoned room service for a tropical fruit platter and a bit of ice for me G 'n' T. Quite hilariously, it arrived on a linen-besplendant trolley, adorned with a red rose. Andy didn't quite know what was happening as it sped past him. You should have seen him when they offered to turn down the bed.

We've just has a lovely dinner of chilli beef salad, vietnamese rice rolls (yes Bison, the soft ones), a lovely red snapper (that I didn't actually order) and Andy had yet more beef, in steak form. I don't believe there were any puppies in our tea (though I wouldn't have minded, Rach). It is still raining, so maybe by the morning things may have slowed down a bit.

So congratulations to Cameron, for his plans to tie the knot soon. Lansdowne Palce is supposed to be lovely - Gen & Rory from Cath Labs had their wedding reception there - so ask them about it. Sorry about all the nonsense going on at work...my moto is...don't believe it 'till you see it. No point in everyone getting wound up about something which might not even occur. If it does though, crisis children!

To Alex & Eremi, please be reassured that we plan to return to Japan - this time in the Spring most definitely for that cherry blossom! Don't worry though, for today I received a wonderful Totoro jigsaw as a gift from my beloved...not to mention some Spirited Away playing cards! The ladies of Vietnam seem to appreciate my Hello Kitty keyrings, but sadly they make no comment of Totoro...they must be afraid of his magic...

Lucy, we are enjoying Hue very much (what we've seen of it)...your recommendations are coming in very handy. Soon to follow is the Forbidden Purple City blog - so keep watching! Easy riders have been mentioned to us more times than I can recall, so you must be right there! Looking forward to having some clothes made in Hoi An.

Dear Jess, I'm sure you've read my now, but the weather in Halong wasn't that great...so we didn't quite experience the awe of the place. Definitely felt a bit Sinbad out there...like you might never return!?

Dear Bison, I only hope I can preserve this carcass of a body until I reach your age (60). My skin is already resembling a big sheet of rice paper...So far the day has been extremely tea and crumpets...time to get this show on the road...

Ta to Brillsta for the CCU update - keep up your unique contribution to ward morale!

And lastly, it was great to talk to my Mum on the 'phone! Six weeks on the road and I've almost forgotton what she sounds like... she's marvellous for her age y'know (sorry I missed you Dad - you were out doing your weekly hour of hard labour!)

From this day onwards, I'm going to behave myself and not get into trouble. Nighty Night.

 
At 3:13 PM , Blogger Andy said...

Spence, I don't know what to say, other than I vaguely remember you telling me the Vietnamese for dog - you're so multi-lingual...eigo ga dekimasu ka? We are not in an establishment where body fluids feature as part of the menu...that's the massage parlour next door...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home