Monday, January 30, 2006

Lovin' Japan....

God I love this country!!! I'll probably repeat myself here a bit, but I'd like to bang on about the stuff I love. It's most definitely the little things, it's the way old, traditional Japan sits comfortably along side modern Japan, it's the people, it's well, just everything. We were walking down the street today on the way back from the city centre, back to chez Alex, when for the first time I spotted a piece of litter on the floor ahead of me. However, on closer inspection, the litter was in fact a leaf :) Weirder still is that it's quite hard to find a bin?? It's the differences that you see constantly that I enjoy, they're not even that great, but for example, every hundred yards or so you will come across a vending machine.
That's no exaggeration, they're everywhere and also they're always only selling drinks or cigarettes. I've not seen any snacks machines yet, actually I lie, I saw an Italian ice-cream vending machine today. In Hiroshima and Tokyo and I guess every other city, there are advertising banners everywhere you look, but because it's in Japanese it looks cool :) It's probably just advertising office space and the usual crap, if it was wall to wall at home, I'd probably hate it. Here it looks awesome, especially when it's all lit up at night. Every corner you turn here, has something new and unexpected. You walk past the most amazing skyscrapers and then nestling inbetween them you'll find a shrine that looks like its been there for hundreds of years, obviously in Hiroshima it hasn't, but in alot of the citys it will have, I think Kyoto's going to be very like that.
The shops here are simply amazing! There are thousands of them it seems and they sell everything. Literally. In the city center, every building seems to be 4 floors minimum and there are shops and restaurants crammed in on all of them. Most of the buildings are alot bigger than that to. Churchill square seems like a corner shop now. We went in a cuddly toy shop the other day, 5 floors of just cuddly toys... There's a massive obsession with cats in Japan for some reason, these waving cats are all over the place. I went hunting Gundam toys yesterday (bit like Transformers, but alot more cool and yes I know I'm a massive nerd) and I found them, tons of them, but I also found a load of other models in the same shop. Some very naughty models indeed! This picture is easily the most tame one I could put up on the blog, but for those of you who want to see more, head on over to the chem7 site :) Just for your information Bison, these "dollys" cost 20,000 Yen each, that's right currency fans £100!!
Talking of cash and costs, Japan mainly seems to be a bit cheaper than home. Some things are the same price, beer, clothes, dvds and games. Food is definitely a bit cheaper, we are eating out 2-3 times a day and staying on budget. £6 for 2 bowls of noodles and very nice noodles they are too, you CCU night shift workers :) The Shinkansen bullet train from Tokyo to Hiroshima was about £80, but that's 300 kph, on time, a comfy seat and cleaning ladies. Here's a good one though, we walked round the supermarket with Eremi, gazing in wonder at all the amazing food, when we came to the bread section. 730 Yen for a loaf of bread, yes that's £3.60 or so. Only we're not talking your full British loaf here.... 4 slices :) Admittedly they were double the thickness of even our thick sliced bread, but 4 slices??? Bizarre!
Mainly though, cheaper. Just to round off, I love the Karaoke! A few beers and I can't stop myself, I know Sam mentioned it on the last post, but it's really top banana fun! It's alot darker in the booth than this photo suggests, flash photography I'm afraid. It's the massive song list that makes it so good though, Josh, Jamie, etc, you would have been proud of me:) I was belting out Debaser, Digging for Fire (twice sorry), Monkey gone to Heaven, Orpheus by Ash, Karma Police, loads of genuinely good music, no Smiths though unfortunately. When the musics not all Steps and the beer is flowing, it's an evil combination :)

It's just great here and we've still got 2 weeks to go.......Whoohoo!!!!!!

8 Comments:

At 3:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you finally admitting to being a nerd Andy :)
Sounds like Sam might actually have a noodle for a boyfriend the way you've been on the Ramen.
On a sadder note the super noodle factory went out of business when you left!!!
Anyway, glad you are enjoying it,loving the blog, keep up the good work!

 
At 1:55 AM , Blogger Andy said...

Hi Jess! Andy is indeed looking more noodle-like by the day. I don't know how to proceed with this situation - if he's not eating them, he's discussing where he can get his next hit. Did you still want me to get you some chopsticks?

 
At 6:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to read your tales from Japan, they are making me chuckle on a night shift on CCU and not a noodle in sight. You both look fine in your orange garb, or was that the Samurai executioner and his missus. Sam your picture now graces the CCU desktop. Andy I heard there is an arcade version of Half life in Japan so you could have a break from the kareoke one night and get yourself down the arcade. Great site guys, keep it up and you should be able to publish once you get home. love James

 
At 10:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the sound of the wall to wall cuddly toys.....did you know it is my first birthday next week???

 
At 2:39 PM , Blogger Andy said...

Hi James, glad you are liking it all, say Hi to guys from CCU. Glad it's Sam's pic on the desktop lol :) I'm laughing just thinking about SH, AdeB looking at it!
Have been down the arcades obviously, no Halflife seen as yet, plenty of good games, nothing that I haven't played at home really, maybe House of the Dead 4 or Tekken 5 are new?
I spend half my time feeling like Lone Wolf and the other half feeling like a noodle :)

Oh and Ruby, I've told you before, you're not even 1 yet, you'll be far to young to remember any presents for at least 3-4 years yet, so whats the point? :)

 
At 4:26 AM , Blogger Andy said...

Not seen any Sumo, quite fancy it though. Talking of which it's very rare to see any fat Japanese people here, all that healthy food I guess. and noodles...

 
At 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the "fat Japanese people" get turned into soap or lipstick. I thought everyone knew that!
I've said it once but I'll say it again love those slide shows guys.

Keep on logging

 
At 11:06 AM , Blogger Andy said...

Chris, I think you are thinking of whales mate :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home